Friday, November 27, 2009

Not So Black Friday

Why do they call it "Black" Friday?

Black is so sad. The color of mourning. Darkness. Evil.

My experience with Black Friday shopping was none of those things.

I have never gone Black Friday shopping before, but there was a great deal going on these puppies:


A Dyson Animal Vacuum.

Between our 3 animals, we've got our share of animal hair floating around this house and saturating our carpet. Our old vacuum never did a great job, and about 2 weeks ago it lost virtually all of it's suction power. So we were in the market for a new one, and the Dyson was marked off $200 at Target. I decided I would just wake up whenever, and see how I felt in the morning.

So, this morning I rolled over and saw 5:45 on the clock. I contemplated with Andy for a bit whether I should go or not. I figured since I was awake, I might as well give it a shot. I threw on some clothes and was out the door by 5:55.

Around 6:05 I rolled into the Target parking lot. As I'm driving toward the front, a van leaves its parking spot so I pull right into a spot near the entrance. This was my first stroke of good luck.

I weaved my way through the crowds people to the vacuum aisle, and alas, there were no Dyson Animals there. I double checked all the vacuums to make sure, and then started to walk back out. Then I realized maybe the specials were on the ends of the aisle, so I walked back to the end cap of the vacuum aisle. And there before me, was ONE left on the shelf. I grabbed it, and headed for the line.

Now, the line looked to be my biggest obstacle. It wrapped all around the store, up and down all the aisles, I couldn't even estimate how many people were in it. 200? 300? I found the back of the line and stepped in. 10 seconds later, I was approached by a manager.

"Ma'am, are you just buying the one item?"

"Yup, this is it."

"Ok, why don't you just go up to the pharmacy counter. They'll take care of you."

So I strolled over to the pharmacy counter, where 2 people were in line in front of me. TWO. I waited about 5 minutes, checked out and headed back to the car.

I pulled back into the garage at 6:30 and went up to the bedroom. Andy called from bed:

"No luck, huh?"

And I crawled right back under the covers and told him the story.

My Friday, so far, is not so black.


NotAppealing said...

Woot! We do have to pull Clapton fur from around the beater bar, still, but that damn thing sucks! (in the good, vacuum cleaner-y way)

Kara said...

My inner shopper did a little dance for you, and then a Kerri kick. I'm so proud. =)

Keri said...

That's a great Black Friday story! I'm impressed.